A singing competition

One of the highlights of my work is the opportunity to worship with various congregations.

Last week, I went with Irene to Pastor Pok Kosal at Ch’mol d’asan church. Irene preached on the miracle of the loaves and fishes from Luke, relating it to stories in her childhood where her mother would pack a mango or banana for her to take to school and how she would hide to eat it so she didn’t have to share. The theme being that God does miracles with whatever we provide to God. We have been emphasizing this idea of Kingdom mathematics in all of our training and projects recently. God doesn’t ask us to do more than what we can. We are invited to give what we have and God will multiply it.

After worship we all had lunch together. Another Korean missionary couple also joined in the service that Sunday and Irene thinks they were a bit shocked to see us sitting on the floor eating with everyone.





Each of the lunch groups were invited to participate in a singing competition. The lead group won 30kg of rice and everyone got a shirt as a prize. I am getting good at faking it through a lot of Khmer hymns, so I enjoyed participating in the competition with my group (we didn’t win), but I couldn’t figure out how to not end up with a shirt without insulting my host. Two weeks later it is still sitting on my desk waiting for me to pass it on again.

Singing Group #1 - the Winners!
Pastor Pok Kosal introduces
the prize for the best
singing group: 30kg of rice


The church has a bus (more like a jeepney for those who know Filipino transport), and after church the pastor delivered everyone home. It reminded me of my days in campus ministry when I would drive the church bus in Iowa. We got to see a new building that was just completed a month or so ago and will be used for kindergarten classes, although they are having trouble recruiting qualified teachers who are willing to work about an hour outside Phnom Penh. Irene also coordinated with the pastor who will be bringing a patient for follow-up care in Phnom Penh.

I also got a cute series of pictures of a mom packing up a kroma (scarf) for her son to carry home.





It was an exciting worship, full of joy and laughter.

You can see all of the pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/ktp.cambodia.01/ChMolDAsanChurch#

Comments